When I first met you, I loved you – although I didn’t know it yet. Together we explored playgrounds, backyards, and ball fields until you, running, the simplest form of play captured my heart and I no longer needed all of the games, just you. Oh running, how I love thee! Let me count the ways.
- I love the adventures and travels I would have never taken if it weren’t for you. From the streets of Boston, to the trails of the Sierras and several spots along the way.
- I love the fat that you’ve kept off my hips, stomach, thighs, and bum for my willful pursuit of the endorphin buzz.
- I love the endorphin buzz.
- I love the sounds of my friends, all breathing heavy and full of stories after a weekend run. Friends that would remain unknown if it weren’t for you.
- I love the peaceful sound of nothing at all when I run by myself.
- I love how I continually set goals and push my limits because of you.
- I love how our early morning outings wake me up, and help me feel ready to conquer the day.
- I love how you help me to forget all of my problems at the end of a long day.
- I love how my legs respond and help me to find myself when I go for a run and I’m angry, or sad, or happy.
- I love the gear, and the gadgets, and the science behind them all, and the simplicity of being able to enjoy you with none of it if that’s the mood I am in.
Running, you have always been there for me, and when I have been forced to take a break, you have welcomed me back each time with an open trail.